November is a busy month for bike rides and active transportation advocacy. We wanted to give you a list below of both, so you can choose where to make a difference. Just getting out and riding this time of year is a reward in and of itself, so don’t forget to enjoy the fall colors while you rock the public comment opportunities.
- Friday Morning, November 11th – IceBike/Walk/Bus to Work Breakfast – in both Hartford and East Hartford. Meet up with new friends and old to chat about not driving your car to work. Ashley’s in Hartford, Maddie’s in East Hartford. 7:00am-9:00am, whenever you show up. Retired? You don’t actually have to be on your way to work to come hang out.
- Friday, November 11th – Bike Walk Connecticut Annual Dinner @ CCSU. BiCi Co. has already filled up a table and a half of friends. We’ll be riding out to CCSU from 95 Park Street at 4:30pm (the dinner starts at 5pm). Only an eight mile ride each way.
- Sunday, November 13th or the 20th – The Eel. A rambling 60ish mile ride of Hartford area riverfront trails and dirt roads. 9:30am start from somewhere in Hartford – probably Founders Bridge plaza. At some point (maybe) Brendan will post the details to the Beat Bike Blog.
- Monday, November 14th – CT Bike / Ped Plan Update – 5:30pm at Elmwood Community Center in West Hartford. The only public meeting scheduled in the region for feedback on the statewide plan for active transportation. We’ll be riding over from BiCi Co. at 4:45pm from 95 Park Street, and it is right next to the CTfastrak Elmwood station.
- Tuesday, November 15th – I-84 Open Planning Studio – Day 1. Review the selected design and make comments on how it could better serve your Hartford neighborhood. 12pm-8pm at the Parkville Senior Center, 11 New Park Ave. There is an urban design working group from 2-3:30pm. Throughout the open studio visitors can just walk in and ask questions and review the design (up on big posters).
- Wednesday, November 16th – I-84 Open Planning Studio – Day 2. Asylum Hill Congregational Church, 814 Asylum Avenue, 4pm-8pm.
- Saturday, November 19th – Hyland Park Bandit Cross in Hartford. Free! Low key cross-style ramble in Hyland Park with an after gathering at Hanging Hills brewery. Brought to you by Wrong Way Slaughter.
- Saturday, November 19th – Hartford Cranksgiving. If you’re not into riding your bike in circles on the dirt, perhaps you want to ride around the city with friends and gather up Thanksgiving supplies for those in need. ~$20 for donation that you will spend at groceries across Hartford. Increased donation tops speed.
Would love to see Bandit Cross and Cranksgiving riders meet up at Hanging Hills Brewery (150 Ledyard) after their respective jaunts. As a larger bike mounted community we should be talking about how to get folks excited Cyclocross Nationals in Hartford’s Riverside Park in the first week of January. Yes, in January.